Dear San Gabriel Unified Elementary Families,
From birthday parties to holiday festivities, there are many celebrations in elementary schools. Traditionally, these parties include a variety of treats. Offering so many treats can contribute to unhealthy eating habits. In order to shift the focus of school parties from unhealthy food to healthy fun, a new district wellness policy will be implemented at all schools in San Gabriel this year. The following changes will apply to schools:
· Only three parties with food and caloric beverages will be allowed per year per classroom. Parties with food must be after the lunch period. Parties without food are unlimited. Food used for instructional purposes (e.g. Harvest of the Month or other lessons) is not limited.
· Each teacher will determine when each of the three parties will be celebrated. While there are no guidelines for the food that is served at these parties, healthy food is encouraged. To reduce food poisoning and allergen risks, it is recommended to avoid foods and beverages prepared at home for classroom parties.
· Student birthdays will continue to be celebrated without food in the classroom. Each teacher will discuss how they will recognize student birthdays (special crown, free choice time, etc.) at parent information night. We will no longer be able to accept any food brought in for individual birthdays.
· All schools will strictly follow the USDA Smart Snacks and California Department of Education guidelines for food sales. These guidelines are available from your school principal or your school’s parent organization. Foods sold on campus (other than the school meals program) from midnight until 30 minutes after the end of the school day must follow Smart Snacks guidelines and be approved by the principal and the district Director of Food Services.
We are excited to provide all students with a healthy learning environment. Please talk to your school principal if you have any questions or need further information.
William Wong – Coolidge Elementary Jim Symonds – McKinley Elementary School
Cheryl Wilson – Roosevelt Elementary School Ross Perry – Washington Elementary School
Jeannine McGuigan – Wilson Elementary School
- Healthy School Celebrations Letter - Vietnamese.docx (174.22 KB)
- Healthy School Celebrations Letter Chinese.docx (172.73 KB)
- Healthy School Celebrations Letter_Spanish.docx (172.52 KB)